The School of Business is proud to announce a new 5 Year program for Accounting students. The 5 Year program combines two successful degree programs, the B.S. and M.S in Accounting. The benefits of this new program are:
- Students who choose this degree will have an advantage by being better prepared for their professional careers in a shorter timeframe
- GMAT exam isn't required for acceptance to the program
- Program will prepare students to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), as well as fulfill their required 150 credit hours of study
- Three graduate courses in the 4th year are charged at undergraduate pricing
By focusing on real-world applications of accounting theories and principles, you’ll gain the skills you need to identify, analyze, interpret and disseminate financial information.
Through our program’s combination of coursework, case studies, and experiential opportunities, you’ll be able to:
- Analyze and solve budgetary and financial problems
- Use accounting for planning and control
- Conduct an audit
- Engage in tax planning and preparation
- Prepare for a career in public and corporate accounting, tax preparation, management accounting, financial consulting
Students can apply to enter the undergraduate portion of the 5 Year program following the completion of 90 undergraduate credits. Students must have 21 of the 90 undergraduate credits pertaining to accounting. In the final semester of the undergraduate portion of the program, students must formally apply to The Graduate School for admission into the MS portion of the program. Students admitted in the 5 Year program are not expected to take the GMAT.
Students applying to the 5 Year BS / MS in Accounting must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.3 as well as a minimum Accounting Major GPA 3.3. Students admitted to the program are expected to maintain a 3.3 GPA (both overall and in the major) from the time of admission to the program (90 credits) until they have completed the 120 undergraduate degree requirement. Those students who do not maintain the 3.3 GPA will not be permitted to enroll in the fifth Year of the program and will be awarded the undergraduate accounting degree as long as they have met the undergraduate GPA requirement of 2.75.
Students are expected to complete 63 credits of business courses to earn a BS in Accounting (42 in accounting and 21 in business). In the 5 Year BS / MS in Accounting three graduate level courses will be applied to the undergraduate major for a total of 9 credits.
- ACCT 309 – Accounting Information Systems
- ACCT 310 – Taxation of Business Entities
- ACCT 404 – Senior Seminar in Accounting
- ACCT 510 – Accounting Information Systems
- ACCT 514 – Advanced Taxation for Accountants
- ACCT 542 – Contemporary Issues in Public Accountancy
Our menu of experiential learning opportunities includes field trips, guest lectures, and internships. Students have gained valuable accounting experience through internship with companies that include:
- J.H. Cohn
- MTV Networks
- Wyndham Worldwide
- Wiss & Co.
School of Business graduates with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting have recently been hired by companies that include:
- Deloitte & Touche
- Ernst & Young
- J.H. Cohn
- Wyndham Worldwide