Applying to SBUS Graduate Programs
Applications to the graduate programs in the School of Business are accepted throughout the year. However, it is advisable to apply as early as possible to maximize your chance of being accepted. Applications are processed on a rolling admissions basis through the Graduate School. Please allow three to six weeks for a decision.
The Graduate School has detailed information regarding admissions requirements for graduate programs.
You must submit the following items as part of your application to the MBA program and the MS in Accounting program:
- Online application
- Official transcript for every undergraduate and graduate institution attended
- GMAT or GRE scores *
- Two letters of reference
- $60 non-refundable application fee
* Only GMAT scores are accepted for the MS in Accounting program
We accept students from all undergraduate majors for the MBA program. You must have an undergraduate degree in accounting to apply for the MS in Accounting program.
The GMAT or GRE may be waived for MBA applicants who submit proof of at least one of the following to the Graduate School:
- An earned BS degree in business administration from an AACSB accredited institution with a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher. The business administration programs in the Montclair State School of Business are AACSB accredited.
- An earned terminal degree (PhD, MD, or JD) in any discipline
- An earned MS degree with a significant quantitative component (in a discipline such as math, engineering, computer science, statistics) from an accredited U.S. college or university
- A resume listing 10 or more years of relevant professional experience. The MBA Office will determine your eligibility for the GMAT/GRE waiver on a case by case basis.
To request a waiver, please complete the standardized test waiver form.
Please note that for the Weekend MBA Program successful candidates will:
- Have four to five years of professional work experience
- Strong quantitative and communication skills as evidenced by GPA and GMAT/GRE scores.
Applications for the Pre-Decision status are available in the beginning of August for Fall classes and the beginning of December for Spring classes.
To obtain Pre-Decision status as an MBA candidate, you must have a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA and provide the following:
Prospective graduate students who have studied in other countries should carefully review the information on relevant policies and procedures provided by the Graduate School. In addition to the materials listed above for the MBA, MBA/MS in Chemistry, and MS in Accounting, you must submit the following:
- Degree evaluation by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
After you are admitted into the MBA program, you must take an English proficiency test.
International students seeking F-1 status at Montclair State University must register for at least nine credits each Spring and Fall semester in order to maintain their immigration status. This means it may be necessary to complete additional elective courses which may lead to 1-2 MBA concentrations. Individual academic advising is required.
International applicants seeking F-1 student status are ineligible for the Post MBA Certificate and Pre-Decision status.