Dr. Zhou's primary research interests reside in organizational behavior perspective of entrepreneurship, leadership, cross cultural management as well as meta-analysis. His current research is focused on the study of individual differences of entrepreneurs in terms of both demographic difference and deep level differences. He has been teaching courses at both undergraduate and MBA level. Prior to getting his Ph.D. in Management from the City University of New York, he worked in banking industry for seven years.
Organizational behavior perspective of entrepreneurship; Leadership; Groups and Teams.
MA, Management, 2012, The City University of New York, New York, NY
Ph D, Management, 2012, The City University of New York, New York, NY
MA, Management, 2000, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
BS, Urban and Environmental Science, 1997, Peking University, Beijing, China
Chair of Management Department,
Montclair State University.
(September 2019 - Current).
Montclair State University.
(September 2017 - Current).
Montclair State University.
(September 2012 - August 2017).
Communication Fellow; Instructor; Teaching/Research Assistant,
Baruch College, CUNY.
(August 2007 - May 2012).
Bank of Shanghai.
(August 2000 - May 2007).
Honors and Awards
Innovation in Teaching Award , Feliciano School of Business, Montclair State University.
Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Award , Montclair State University.
Best Paper Proceedings , Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
5th Annual USASBE Doctoral Consortium Scholarship , The United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship.
CUNY Writing Fellowship, Graduate Center at CUNY, 2011-2012 , The City University of New York.
Doctoral Student Research Grant, Graduate Center at CUNY, 2011-2012 , The City University of New York.
Graduate Research Assistantship, Baruch College, CUNY, 2007-2011 , The City University of New York.
Wencang Zhou & Huajing Hu (working paper). Inequality and Female Entrepreneurship.
Refereed Published Articles
- Zhou, W., Zhu, Z., Vredenburgh, D. (2020). Emotional Intelligence, Psychological Safety, and Team Decision Making. Team Performance Management, 26 (1/2), pp. 123-141.
- Xu, J., Yang, X., Xin, D., Zhou, W., Zhu, X. (2019). FIRM LOCATION AND INNOVATION: EVIDENCE FROM CHINESE LISTED FIRMS. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 24 (4),
- Hu, H., Lian, Y., Zhou, W. (2019). Do Local Protestant Values Affect Corporate Cash Holdings?. Journal of Business Ethics, 154 (1), pp. 147–166.
- Zhou, W., Yang, X., Li, Y., Zhang, Y. (2019). Pattern versus Level: a New Look at the Personality-Entrepreneurship Relationship. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 25 (1), pp. 150-168.
- Zhou, W., Zhang, Y., Shen, Y. (2017). How shared leadership and team personality composition interact to improve entrepreneurial team performance: Evidence from China. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 24 (3), pp. 426-445.
- Shen, Y., Zhou, W. (2016). The enlightenment of "tax inversion" in America on the anti-international tax avoidance in China. Journal of Yunnan University of Finance and Economics, 2016 (6), pp. 136-143.
- Zhang, Y., Hamilton, E., Zhou, W., Liu, X. (2016). Financial Myths Reexamined from Real Stock Price History. International Journal of Data Analysis and Information Systems, 8 (2),
- Zhou, W. (2016). When does shared leadership matter in entrepreneurial teams: The role of Personality Composition. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 12 (1), pp. 153-169.
- Zhang, Y., Hsu, J., Xing, R., Zhou, W. (2015). Conflict of Interest: What It Is, Its Causes and Consequences. International Journal of Knowledge-Based Organizations, 5 (2), pp. 1-18.
- Zhou, W., Hu, H., Shi, X. (2015). Does Organizational Learning Lead to Higher Firm Performance? An Investigation of Chinese Listing Companies. The Learning Organization, 22 (5), pp. 271 - 288.
- Zhou, W., Vredenburgh, D., Rogoff, E. (2015). Informational diversity and entrepreneurial team performance: Moderating effect of shared leadership. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 11 (1), pp. 39-55.
- Zhou, W., Hu, H., Zey, M. (2015). Team Composition of New Venture Founding Teams: Does Personality Matter?. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 21 (5), pp. 673-689.
- Zhou, W., Rosini, E. (2015). Entrepreneurial Team Diversity and Performance: Toward an Integrated Model. Entrepreneurship Research Journal, 5 (1), pp. 31-60.
- Zhou, W. (2013). Is Informational Diversity Really Informational?: An Investigation of What and When in Entrepreneurial Teams. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 7 (3), pp. 29-42.
- Aytug, Z., Rothstein, H., Zhou, W., Kern, M. (2012). Revealed or concealed? Transparency of procedures, decisions, and judgment calls in meta-analyses.. Organizational Research Methods, 15 (1), pp. 103-133.
- Zhou, W., Shi, X. (2011). Culture in groups and teams: A review of three decades of research. International Journal of Cross Cultural Management, 11 (1), pp. 5-34.
- Zhou, W. (2006). Knowledge Management in China Banks. International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, 6 pp. 91-96.
- Zhou, W. (1999). How to be a successful quick follower?. China Township Enterprises, (8), pp. 24-25.
- Zhou, W. (1999). The wheel model of retail trade development. Jiangsu Commercial Forum, (3), pp. 17-19.
- Zhou, W. (1999). A quick follower's marketing strategy in R&D. Marketing Herald, (5-6), pp. 36-37.
- Zhou, W. (1999). Comparative research on a retail development model in the West. Foreign Economies and Management, (8), pp. 35-36.
- Zhou, W. (1999). The company’s core competence and diversified strategy. Shanghai Economic Review, (8), pp. 27-30.
- Zhou, W. (1999). An analysis of the wheel model concerning retail trade development. Foreign Economies and Management, (5), pp. 34-36.
- Zhou, W. (1999). Sustainable development of a company: A resources based view. Techno-economics & Management Research, (5), pp. 52-53.
- Zhou, W. (1998). The commercial revolution at the end of century: e-commerce. Policy and Management, (11), pp. 22-24.
- Zhou, W., Shi, X. (1998). The development of E-commerce. Enterprise Reform and Management, (11), pp. 25-26.
Books & Chapters Published
- Zhou, W., Vredenburgh, D. (2017). Dispositional Antecedents of Shared Leadership Emergent States on Entrepreneurial Teams. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Zhou, W., Wang, Y. (2000). Cases of Innovative Marketing. Zhengzhou: Henan Peoples Publishing House.
- Zhou, W. (2014). Team Composition of New Venture Founding Teams: Does Personality Matter?. : Eastern Academy of Management Annual Conference 2014 Proceedings. Refereed
- Zhou, W. (2014). Who share and who use the unshared information? A moderated mediation model of group information elaboration. : Eastern Academy of Management Annual Conference 2014 Proceedings. Refereed
- Zhou, W. (2013). Shared Leadership in Teams: An Empirical Study of Dispositional Antecedents. : Proceedings of the Seventy-Third Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. Refereed
- Zhou, W., Gardberg, N., Heck, R. (2009). Entrepreneurial Intentions, Work‐Family Conflict and Entrepreneurial Success. New York: Annual Conference of Academy of International Business (AIB) Northeast. Refereed
- Zhou, W., Rothstien, H., Shi, X. (2008). The Effects of Members’ Cognitive Ability and Emotional Intelligence on Team Outcomes: A Meta-Analytic Review. : Proceedings of The 5th International Conference on Intellectual Capital, Knowledge Management & Organizational Learning. Refereed