Archana Kumar is an Associate Professor of Marketing, teaching Introduction to Marketing and Retail Marketing and Management. Her principles areas of research are in consumer behavior, apparel retailing, branding strategies, electronic and mobile commerce shopping behavior and cross-cultural consumer behavior.<br><br>Dr. Kumar research has been published in several referred journals including the Journal of Services Marketing, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management and the Journal of Business Research. She is also the recipient of the 2007 Emerald Research Fund Award for Indian Management Research.<br><br>Dr. Kumar is a member of the American Collegiate and Retailing Association (ACRA) and Marketing Management Association (MMA).<br><br>Dr. Kumar has a PhD in Retail and Consumer Services and M.S. in Statistics from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She also has a M.S. in Integrated Textile and Apparel Science from Auburn University.
Consumer behavior<br>Apparel retailing<br>Branding strategies<br>Electronic and Mobile commerce shopping behavior<br>Cross-cultural consumer behavior
MS, Statistics, 2010, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
Ph D, Retail and Consumer Sciences, 2010, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
MS, Integrated Textile and Apparel Sciences, 2004, Auburn University, Alabama
BS, Textile Technology, 2001, Bharathiyar University, India
Montclair State University.
(September 2015 - Current).
Montclair State University.
(January 2020 - June 2020).
Montclair State University.
(September 2010 - September 2015).
Research, Computing Support, University of Tennessee.
(May 2008 - August 2010).
Graduate Research Assistant,
Department of Retail, Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Tennessee.
(August 2004 - May 2008).
Marketing Manager Intern,
(May 2005 - August 2005).
Graduate Research Fellow,
(August 2002 - July 2004).
(May 2001 - August 2002).
Honors and Awards
Emerald Research Funds Award .
Ida Anders Scholarship , College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
ITAA Best Paper , International Textile and Apparel Association.
Honorary Mention for 'Gender and Mobile Services' , Korean Academy of Marketing Science, Korea.
Graduate Fellow , Auburn University.
Message framing in the context of local food at the point-of-purchase
Situational factors that determine local food consumption
Understanding perceived risk toward online grocery shopping
Refereed Published Articles
- Lim, H., Kumar, A. (2019). Variations in Consumers' Use of Brand Online Social Networking: A Uses and Gratifications Approach. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 51 pp. 450-457.
- Kumar, A., Smith, S. (2018). Understanding Local Food Consumers: Theory of Planned Behavior and Segmentation Approach. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 24 (2), pp. 196-215.
- Chatterjee, P., Kumar, A. (2017). Consumer Willingness to Pay Across Retail Channels. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 34 (1), pp. 264-270.
- Chatterjee, P., Kumar, A. (2017). Innovating the Retail Curriculum for Future Careers in Retail. Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education, 25 pp. 1-2.
- Atkins, K., Kumar, A., Kim, Y. (2016). Smart Grocery Shopper Segments. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 28 (1), pp. 42-53.
- Pole, A., Kumar, A. (2015). Segmenting CSA Members by Motivation: Anything But Two Peas in a Pod. British Food Journal, 117 (5), pp. 1488-1505.
- Kumar, A., Mukherjee, A., McGinnis, J. (2015). Who Wants to be an Etailpreneur? Experiences from an Electronic Retailing Course. Marketing Education Review, 25 (2), pp. 117-128.
- Zahay, D., Schultz, D., Kumar, A. (2015). Reimagining Branding for the New B2B Digital Marketplace. Journal of Brand Strategy, 3 (4), pp. 357-373.
- Kumar, A., Kim, Y. (2014). The Store-As-A-Brand Strategy: The Effect of Store Environment on Customer Responses. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 21 (5), pp. 685-695.
- Kumar, A., Mukherjee, A., McGinnis, J. (2013). E-Retailing Course: Using an Experiential Approach in a Classroom Setting. Retail Education Today, 33 (3),
- Kumar, A. (2013). Shop While you Talk: Determinants of Purchase Intentions Through a Mobile Device. International Journal of Mobile Marketing, 8 (1), pp. 23-34.
- Beckman, E., Kumar, A., Kim, Y. (2013). The Impact of Brand Experience on Downtown Success. Journal of Travel Research, 52 (5), pp. 646-658.
- Kumar, A., Fairhurst, A., Kim, Y. (2013). The Role of Personal Cultural Orientation in Consumer Ethnocentrism among Indian Consumers. Journal of Indian Business Research, 5 (4), pp. 235-250.
- Kumar, A., Fairhurst, A., Kim, Y. (2011). Ethnocentric Tendencies of Indian Consumers: Impact on Preference for Domestic versus Foreign Products. International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 21 (4), pp. 323-341.
- Bhardwaj, V., Kumar, A., Kim, Y. (2010). Brand Analyses of U.S. Global and Local Brands in India: The Case of Levi's. Journal of Global Marketing, 23 (1), pp. 80-94.
- Lee, H., Kumar, A., Kim, Y. (2010). Indian Consumers' Brand Equity toward a U.S. and Local Apparel Brand. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 14 (3), pp. 469-485.
- Kumar, A., Lee, H., Kim, Y. (2009). Indian Consumers' Purchase Intention toward a United States versus Local Brand. Journal of Business Research, 62 (5), pp. 521-527.
- Kumar, A., Kim, Y., Pelton, L. (2009). Indian Consumers Purchase Behavior toward a U.S. versus Local Brand. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 62 (5), pp. 521-527.
- Kumar, A., Heejin, L. (2008). Age Differences in Mobile Service Perceptions: Comparison of Generation Y and Baby Boomers. Journal of Services Marketing, 22 (7), pp. 567-568.
- Lim, H., Kumar, A. (2008). Gender and Loyalty in the Context of Mobile Services. International Journal of Mobile Communications, 6 (6), pp. 714-728.
Books & Chapters Published
- Kumar, A., Smith, S. (2019). A Review of Local Food Consumption in the USA. (pp. 1-7).
- Smith, S., Kumar, A. (2013). The Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Employee Organizational Commitment within the Gaming Industry. (pp. 49-67). : Advances in Hospitality and Leisure.
- Ekeledo, I., Kumar, A. (2013). Foreign Market Exit of International Retailers: An Integrative Perspective. : AMA Summer Marketing Educators’ Conference. Refereed
- Kumar, A. (2013). Zero to Online Retail Entrepreneur in a Semester: An Experiential Learning Approach to Teaching E-Retailing. New Orleans: MMA Fall Educators' Conference. Refereed
- Kumar, A., McGinnis, J., Mukherjee, A. (2012). Determinants of patient satisfaction with pharmaceutical services - Comparison between multiple pharmacy format. : Business & Health Administration Proceedings. Refereed
- Limbu, Y., Kumar, A. (2011). The Antecedents and Consequences of Website Credibility: The Role of Online Retailing Ethics. : North East Business and Economics Association. Refereed