Dr. Nicholson joins the School of Business as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Economics and Finance after completing his Ph.D. in Real Estate from the University of Georgia. His research interests are in the areas of Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), real estate finance, gentrification and urban economics. He has several years of experience in both finance as an Institutional Bond Analyst and real estate as a Project Manager. Dr. Nicholson has successfully taught numerous real estate courses at Georgia, one of the top real estate programs in the country, over the past few years.
Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
Real Estate Fincne
Ph D, Business Administration, 2013, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
MBA, Finance, 2005, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN
BS, Business Administration, 2001, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Assistant Professor of Real Estate and Finance,
Montclair State University.
(September 2013 - Current).
University of Georgia.
(August 2008 - May 2013).
Co-Owner/Vice President of Project Management,
Professional Solutions Unlimited.
(August 2007 - June 2008).
Duncan Williams, Inc..
(May 2005 - August 2007).
Further Lane Partners,
New York, New York.
(September 2018 - Present).
Acting as Chief Investment Officer of this boutique investment bank that securitizes mission critical, corporate real estate assets of publicly traded companies.
Commercial Equity Consultants,
Bayville, New Jersey.
(January 2014 - Present).
Acting Principal of this LLC which works for both public and private entities as an equity real estate consultant with close $500 million in gross transactions.
Pristine Affordable Sustainable Homes,
Jersey City, New Jersey.
(March 2017 - August 2019).
Running financial feasibility analysis for non-profit, affordable housing real estate development projects.
Litigation Expert Consultant/Support,
Cory Watson, Attorneys at Law,
(February 2017 - May 2017).
Expert legal witness in real estate market valuation.
Honors and Awards
American Real Estate Society Conference Travel Grant , American Real Estate Society (ARES).
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association Conference Travel Grant , American Real Estate and Urban Ecnomics Association (AREUEA).
Coweeta Long-Term Ecological Research Program Assistantship , University of Georgia.
Comer Fellowship , University of Georgia.
Synovus Summer Research Stipend , University of Georgia.
Biscoe Fellowship , University of Georgia.
Etheridge Scholarship , University of Georgia.
TVA Investment Challenge 1st Place Team Performance Scholarship , University of Tennessee.
REIT Operational Efficiency: External Advisement and Management
Revisiting the Real Estate Curriculum Requirements at AACSB International-Accredited Institutions
RIETs Post-Crisis: Cash-Flow Retention and Efficiency
The Impact of Professional Sports Stadium Abandonment on Surrounding Neighborhoods
The Spatial Effects of Traffic Congestion
Traffic Congestion and it's Impact on Gentrification Pressure
Refereed Published Articles
- Lord, R., Nicholson, J., Saito, Y., Dugan, M. (2020). CEO Compensation, Portfolio Holdings and Strategic Investments. Journal of Financial Economic Policy, 12 (1), pp. 137-160.
- DiGabriele, J., Crane, M., Lohrey, P., Nicholson, J. (2019). VFR Valuation Advisory #3: A Groundwork for Fraudulent Financial Reporting?. Journal of Forensic and Investigative Accounting, 11 (3), pp. 416424.
- Nicholson, J., Zhou, J. (2019). Revisiting REIT Elective Stock Dividend Issuance. Real Estate Finance, 36 (2), pp. 89-103.
- Nicholson, J. (2017). Measurements in Real Estate Assesment of Learning. Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education, 10 (4), pp. 8-15.
- Nicholson, J. (2017). Real Estate Mutual Funds: Efficiency In The Post-Liquidity Crisis Era. Journal of Business & Economics Research, 15 (3), pp. 25-32.
- Lohrey, P., DiGabriele, J., Nicholson, J. (2017). A Risk Assessment of Intangible Asset Valuation: The Post-Hoc Association between Goodwill Impairments and Risk Hazards in Mergers and Acquisitions. American Journal of Management, 17 (1), pp. 34-46.
- DiGabriele, J., Lohrey, P., Nicholson, J., Rodriguez, C. (2017). A Tax Policy of Applying the “Tax-At-The-Top” Approach to Multinational Corporations.. Business & Law Journal, 2017 (1), pp. 88-100.
- Zhou, J., Nicholson, J. (2015). Economic Value of Modelling Covariance Asymmetry for Mixed-Asset Portfolio Diversifications. Economic Modelling, 15 (45), pp. 14-21.
- Chamblee, J., Dehring, C., Depken, C., Nicholson, J. (2015). Water Contamination, Land Prices and the Statute of Repose. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 51 (3), pp. 30.