Jo Ann Pinto is an associate professor in the Department of Accounting & Finance, teaching courses in Cost Accounting, Contemporary Issues in Intermediate Accounting, Managerial Accounting, and Financial Statement Analysis. She has been a professor at Montclair State University since 1999. Her research interests lie in the areas of capital markets, foreign currency translation, developing economies and tax policy. In addition to her teaching at Montclair State University, she has been employed as an Adjunct Professor at several area schools including Drew University, Rutgers University, Union County College and Essex County College.
Prior to academia, Dr. Pinto spent nine years in the practice of accounting in both private and public firms; there she specialized in financial accounting and tax accounting. Dr. Pinto enjoys travel and has spent two years living in Brazil where she learned to speak Portuguese fluently; she also understands Spanish and has a working knowledge of French. Her Latin American experiences have informed much of her research and she has a long-range goal of returning to Brazil as a Visiting Professor at a Brazilian University. As a professor at Montclair State, she has presented papers in Canada, India, Puerto Rico, The Bahamas, Mexico and Italy as well as many locations in the United States. Dr. Pinto has a PhD in Accounting and Applied Economics from Rutgers University, an MBA in Accounting from Montclair State University, an MA in Economics from Montclair State University, and a BS in Accounting from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Ph D, Accounting-Major; Applied Economics-Minor, 1999, Rutgers University, Newark and New Brunswick, NJ
MBA, Accounting, 1994, Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ
MA, Economics, 1990, Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ
Other, Portuguese and French, 1985, University of the Amazons, Manaus, Brazil
BS, Major-Accounting: Minor-French, 1984, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
Montclair State University.
(September 1999 - Current).
(September 1995 - August 1999).
Union County College.
(September 1998 - May 1999).
Fred Koenig and Company, CPAs.
(1991 - 1995).
Union County College.
(September 1994 - May 1995).
Graduate Assistant/Adjunct Instructor,
Montclair State University.
(September 1991 - December 1994).
Clara Maass Medical Center.
(1988 - 1991).
Business Office Manager,
(1986 - 1988).
Honors and Awards
Finalist, Outstanding Accounting Dissertion Award , American Accounting Association.
Grant Recipient, Women in the Public Sphere , Rutgers University.
Fellow, Doctoral Internationalization Accounting Consortium , University of Washington.
Fellow, Doctoral Consortium , American Accounting Association.
Outstanding Graduate Student Award, MBA Program , Montclair State University.
Outstanding Graduate Student Award, MA Program , Montclair State University.
Beta Alpha Psi , Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Beta Gamma Sigma , Virginia Polytechnic Institue and State University.
Scholarship for Intercultural Exchange , Rotary International.
Is This the End of an Era for an Icon?
Point-Counterpoint: Should Attendance Be Required in Collegiate Classrooms? Followup Survey to 2016 Published Paper.
The Brazilian Economy Under the Workers' Party
Refereed Published Articles
- Pinto, J., Lohrey, P., (2019). Faculty Perceptions of Attendance Policy in an AACSB School. Contemporary Issues in Education Research,
- Pinto, J., Lohrey, P. (2016). Point-Counterpoint: Should Attendance Be Required in Collegiate Classrooms?. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 9 (3), pp. 115-120.
- Husted, S., Pinto, J., Romero, S. (2013). Elijah Watt Sells Award: A Study of Previous Winners. American Journal of Business Education, 6 (2), pp. 241-246.
- Pinto, J., Lin, B., Lipari, J. (2012). Financial Statement Analysis-A Few Considerations from Multinational Companies. Today's CPA, 39 (5), pp. 30-36.
- Pinto, J. (2011). What is the Real Income of the Poor? An Accountant's Perspecitve. Journal of Business & Economic Research, 9 (6),
- Lipari, J., Pinto, J. (2009). Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008-Good News and Bad News. Taxpro Journal,
- Pinto, J. (2005). The Population Ecology Paradigm: Review and Critique. Business and Economics Research,
- Pinto, J. (2005). How Comprehensive is Comprehensive Income? The Value Relevance of Foreign Currency Translation Adjustments. The Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting,
- Pinto, J. (2005). Swimming Against the Tide: The Hidden Costs of Offshoring. CPA Journal,
- Pinto, J. (2003). Equity Valuation in a Changing Institutional Climate: Evidence from Multinational Utilities. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing, and Taxation, 12 (1),
- Pinto, J. (2003). Self-Financing Alternative: Borrowing Against a 401-K. CPA Journal,
- Pinto, J. (2002). Foreign Currency Translation Method Choice: Insights from Game Theory. Journal of Applied Business Research, 18 (4),
- Pinto, J. (2001). Foreign Currency Translation Adjustments as Predictors of Earnings Changes. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 11 (1),
- Pinto, J. (2001). Foreign Currency Translation Revisited. Indian Accounting Review, 5 (1),
- Pinto, J., Lipari, J. (2000). Hidden Benefits of the Nanny Tax. The CPA Journal,