Dr. Zhang's research interests focus on loyalty programs and transformative consumer research through the lens of digital marketing and with a big-data approach. His research projects usually highlight the intersection among marketing, technology, and consumer psychology. His expertise lies in integrating consumer psychology theory with consumer big data to bring forward useful customer insights and actionable marketing strategies.
Loyalty program; Transformative consumer research
Ph D, Marketing, 2019, Old Dominion University, Virginia
MS, Computer Software and Theory, 2008, Guangxi Normal University, China
Honors and Awards
M. Wayne DeLozier Award: Best Conference Paper , Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference.
Health Eating Research Grant: Online Ordering and Pick up in Store during the COVID-19 Pandemic , Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
FY2021 Summer Grant Proposal Development Award , Montclair State University.
Healthy Eating Research Grant: App Usage and Benefit Redemption Behaviors , Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
The AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow , The American Marketing Association.
The 2019 AMS Doctoral Consortium Fellow , The Academy of Marketing Science Foundation.
The 2019 Mary Kay Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award , The 2019 Academy of Marketing Science Foundation.
The 2018 SMA Doctoral Consortium Fellow , Society for Marketing Advances.
The 2018 INFORMS Marketing Science Doctoral Consortium Fellow , The ISMS Marketing Science Conference.
Outstanding Doctoral Student in Marketing , Old Dominion University.
The 2015 McGraw-Hill Distinguished Paper Award , Collegiate Marketing Educators.
Refereed Published Articles
- Wang, T., Limbu, Y., Zhang, J. Lite App Adoption and Cannibalization. Journal of Digital & Social Media Marketing,
- Zhang, Q., Zhang, J., Park, K., Tang, C. (2021). App Usage Associated with Full Redemption of WIC Food Benefits: A Propensity Score Approach. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior,
- Zhang, H., Zhang, J., Tang, C., Park, K., McLaughlin, P., Stacy, B. WIC Cash Value Benefit (CVB) Redemption Choices in the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Era. American Journal of Health Promotion,
- Miao, M., Zhang, J., Wang, T. (2021). The Impact of Co-branding on Firm Stock Value. International Journal of Business & Applied Sciences,
- Zhang, Q., Zhang, J., Park, K., Tang, C. (2020). Association Between Usage of an App to Redeem Prescribed Food Benefits and Redemption Behaviors Among the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children Participants: Cross-Sectional Study (5 Yr IF: 5.323). JMIR Mhealth and Uhealth,
- Zhang, J., Hsu, M., Geng, B., Fan, S. (2020). Analyzing the Outcomes of Government-Led Poverty Reduction Policy – The Case Of 32 Counties in Southwestern China. Journal of Developing Area, 50 (1),
- Zhang, J., Tang, C., Guo, L., Xu, H. (2018). A Longitudinal Investigation of Customer Compliance: The Role of Appraisal Toward Compliance Behaviors. Psychology and Marketing, 35 (12), pp. 957-967.
- Zhang, J., Huang, L. (2018). Loss or gain? The impact of Chinese local celebrity endorser scandal on the global market value of the endorsed brands. Journal of Marketing Analytics, 6 (1), pp. 27-39.
- Hsu, M., Zhang, J., Ahmad, Y. (2017). Government Digital Information Discovery and Exploration: The Case of Unraveling Tourism-Led-Growth Paradox in China. Information Discovery and Delivery, 45 (4), pp. 212-219.
- Chen, J., Zhang, J., Nijkamp, P. (2016). A regional analysis of willingness-to-pay in Asian cruise markets. Tourism Economics, 22 (4), pp. 809-824.
- Zhang, J., Tang, C., Zhang, Q. (2020). The Impact of Medicaid and SNAP program participation on WIC Participants’ Redemption Behavior Pattern. : Academy of Marketing Science. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Tang, C., Zhang, Q. (2018). An Empirical Examination of WIC Participants’ Time Pressure Redemption Behavior. : American Marketing Association. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Liu-Thompkins, Y. (2018). The interplay between goal type and goal completion status on consumer’ post-goal behavior in multi-tiered loyalty programs.. : American Marketing Association. Refereed
- Miao, M., Zhang, J., Hsu, M. (2018). The introduction of co-branded offerings in the USA: Any effect on parent companies’ stock return?. : American Marketing Association. Refereed
- Stuhler, K., Zhang, J. (2018). Is All Fraud Created Equal?. : Academy of Marketing Science. Refereed
- Huang, L., Zhang, J. (2018). The Impact of Celebrity Blameworthiness in a Scandal on the Global Market Value of the Endorsed Brands.. : Academy of Marketing Science. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Huang, L. (2017). Does Local Celebrity Scandal Influence Global Firm Value?. : Society for Marketing Advances. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Hsu, M., Geng, B., Stuhler, K. (2017). Scale Efficiency Analysis of Small-Scale Level Area in A Poor Minority Region of China－From the Spatial Analysis Perspective.. : American Marketing Association. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Tang, C., Guo, L., Xu, H. (2017). A Longitudinal Investigation of Customer Compliance: The Role of Appraisal Toward Compliance Behaviors.. : American Marketing Association. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Tang, C., Zhang, Q. (2017). Exploring WIC Participants’ Fruits and Vegetables Redemption Behavior: An Empirical Examination of Virginia’s Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Transaction Data.. : American Marketing Association. Refereed
- Zhang, J., Stuhler, K., Khoshghadam, L. (2016). A General Conceptual Model of Product Harm Crisis.. : Society for Marketing Advances. Refereed
- Hsu, M., Zhang, J., Yamin, A. (2015). Is Tourism-led-Growth (TLG) Hypothesis Valid in China?. : Association of Collegiate Marketing Educators. Refereed