Montclair State University welcomes inquiries and applications from students currently participating in the School of Business/Disney College program who wish to apply for studies in which they will become full time students with the goal of obtaining a degree at our University. The appropriate visa for a full time degree student is the F1 student visa. It is important that students are aware that they will not be eligible to begin their degree studies immediately after the Disney program ends.
This is due to the fact that U.S. Federal J1 regulations prohibit a change of visa status from J1 to F1 within the United States. After the Disney Program ends, a student must travel to China to apply for the F1 visa at the U.S. Consulate and then return to Montclair State to begin their studies. There will not be enough time to do this before the next available semester begins at Montclair State. Therefore the enrollment on the Montclair State campus will be delayed at least one additional semester after the Disney program ends.
The U.S. federal regulation governing this requirement is entitled The 2-year residency requirement, (212.e). All students from China are subject to this requirement. The Two-year residency requirement prohibits a student from obtaining a change of visa status within the United States therefore requiring them to travel to China and apply for the F1 visa at the U.S. Consulate in China. A student cannot enroll in a degree program in the current J-1 non-degree visa status. If students are interested in applying for degree status at Montclair State, please follow the instructions below:
- Complete the online application by visiting http://www.montclair.edu/Admissions
- Submit results from TOEFL exam. Accepted scores are:
- Computerized test: at least 213
- iBT test: at least 80
More information about testing dates and locations can be found at www.toefl.org. Montclair State University's institutional code for test reporting is 2520.
- Submit the evaluation of foreign transcripts. This can be done by World Education Services (WES). Visit www.wes.org
- Once accepted by Montclair State University, you must apply for immigration documents. Complete the "Request for I-20 Form" and submit it with the required financial documents to International Services. Complete instructions and the form can be found at http://www.montclair.edu/IntlServices/forms/forstudents/i20application.pdf.
- Once an I-20 has been issued by Montclair State University, you can visit the American Consulate in your home country and apply for an F-1 student visa in order to enter the U.S. to start your studies.
For further information about the application procedure, contact the Admissions Office at:
For questions related to visa issues, email: firstname.lastname@example.org