The “4 + 1” Bachelors/MBA is a five year program, during which students will spend three years taking courses required for their chosen bachelor’s degree program and in their fourth year, they will complete (along with required undergraduate program courses) 6 credits worth of graduate business (MBA) coursework. This will satisfy both undergraduate degree requirements and count toward achievement of the MBA degree.
In the fifth year, students will take their courses required for a General MBA, in a full-time format with graduate coursework. Students must apply for acceptance into the program in their junior year and will be admitted into the MBA program in their senior year if they meet the GPA requirement. Students who do not meet 4 + 1 program requirements or who choose not to pursue the MBA by completing the remaining courses in year five will graduate with a Bachelor’s degree. Students who complete the 5-year program will possess both a Bachelor’s degree in their undergraduate discipline and an MBA degree.
- High-achieving Montclair State undergraduates are able to complete a Bachelors and MBA degree in five years
- Students from a variety of undergraduate disciplines gain valuable business and professional knowledge, skills and experiences that enhance their employability and career options post graduation.
- Students can take advantage of a more cost-effective option for getting an MBA degree by taking some “swing” graduate courses that satisfy both their undergraduate and graduate degrees at the undergraduate tuition rate
The following undergraduate programs are approved for participation in the 4 +1 program:
- BS Biology / MBA
- BS Business Admin / MBA
- BA Classics / MBA
- BS Earth and Environmental Science / MBA
- BA Economics / MBA
- BA Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies / MBA
- BA History / MBA
- BS Hospitality, Sports, Events, and Tourism / MBA
- BA Humanities / MBA
- BS Mathematics / MBA
- BA Philosophy / MBA
- BS Physics / MBA
- BA Psychology / MBA
- BA Religion / MBA
- BS Sustainability Science / MBA
- BA Writing Studies / MBA
As enrollees in a 5 year Bachelors/MBA program, students will complete 120 credits of undergraduate courses including 6 credits of MBA core courses (“swing” courses), 24 credits of remaining MBA core coursework and 6 credits of MBA elective courses, for a total of 150 credits.
Interested in Pursuing the 4+1 Bachelor’s / MBA Program? Follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Schedule an appointment with an MBA Advisor by contacting the MBA Office at 973-655-4306 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Complete a change of major to designate intent to participate in the 4 + 1 Bachelor’s / MBA program. Note: You can complete a change of major form after meeting with an MBA Advisor regarding the 4+1 Bachelor’s / MBA program.
Step 3: Complete foundation courses in Statistics, Accounting, and Finance (if not already completed) and earn at least a B- or better in all three foundation courses.
Step 4: Register for 6 credits of MBA Swing Courses (four 1.5 credit classes) in the Spring semester of your senior year.