Information Systems Is The Bridge Between Business And Technology
In today’s world, information is the key to competition. Organizations’ decisions based on good (accurate, relevant and timely) information lead to success. Information systems that use the latest technologies help organizations collect, process, manage and analyze good information. Examples of this might be seen every day when you get a prescription filled, go through the E-ZPass lane, go on Facebook or Twitter, or buy groceries and have your card swiped. Our MIT (Management of Information and Technology) major prepares you to be the Systems Analyst who manages and analyzes good information for the organization and becomes the bridge between the business and technology.
Our program helps you to develop the skills you need to improve business performance with the strategic implementation of technology within an organization. A balanced curriculum that concentrates on relevant managerial and technical issues is supported by a combination of case projects, field experience, professional speakers and other experiential opportunities.
Systems analysts study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and help it operate more efficiently and effectively. They bring business and information technology (IT) together by understanding both. They are viewed in the organization as “solutions providers.” A systems analyst generally does the following:
- Consults with management to determine the role of the IT system in an organization
- Devises ways to make existing computer systems meet new needs
- Determines requirements for new systems and changes to existing systems
- Researches emerging technologies to decide if installing them can increase the organization’s effectiveness and efficiency
- Prepares an analysis of costs and benefit to help management make decisions regarding computer systems
Connect with the Business Community
Recent students put classroom learning into practice with internships at:
- Sony Music Entertainment
- SiriusXM Radio
- RFL Electronics