Header Media

How can I find my Feliciano School of Business advisor?

Check your NEST account under “Who’s My Advisor?” If no advisor is listed, contact advising in the Dean’s office at 973-655-4303 or contact your Feliciano School of Business concentration’s department.

  • Accounting & Finance  973-655-4174 - Room 392
  • Economics 973-655-5255 - Room 530B
  • Information Management and Business Analytics – 973-655-7847- Room 492
  • Management – 973-655-4269 - Room 430
  • Marketing – 973-655-5126 - Room 592

What is a concentration?

A School of Business concentration is a chosen area of study within the Business Administration major. Each School of Business student majoring in Business Administration must choose a concentration. There is no “general” Business major. You may choose from the following concentrations:

  • Business Analytics
  • Finance
  • Hospitality Management
  • International Business
  • Management
  • Management of Information Technology
  • Marketing
  • Real Estate
  • Retail Merchandising & Management
  • Sports, Events and Tourism Marketing

What is a minor?

A minor is a set of courses that establishes your proficiency in a discipline with fewer courses than a major would require. The School of Business offers two minors:

  • General Business Minor
    • This is not open to Business Administration majors
    • This minor requires a minimum 2.75 GPA. Apply.
  • Economics Minor

May I choose more than one concentration?

While you are required to have only one concentration, you may have more than one concentration. Some concentrations work particularly well together, so that you would be able to complete your degree in the same amount of time as if you had a single concentration. Please see your advisor if you are considering a double concentration.

Where do I go to speak to someone in my area of concentration?

Five Feliciano School of Business departments – all located in Feliciano School of Business building -- house the following concentrations:

  • Accounting & Finance 973-655-4174 - Room 392
  • Economics 973-655-5255 - Room 530B
  • Information Management and Business Analytics – 973-655-7847- Room 492
  • Management – 973-655-4269 - Room 430
  • Marketing – 973-655-5126 - Room 592

I expect to be accepted into the Business major at the end of this semester. Can I save a seat in the School of Business courses I need that are for majors only?

Unfortunately, you cannot do this. Once you are accepted into the major, you may go to the appropriate department and ask if an overload seat is available if the course is full. You can also check NEST regularly as seats sometimes open up.

How do I make sure that courses from my previous school are evaluated for transfer credit?

You should contact the departments that offer the equivalent courses at Montclair State. The department secretaries will forward your requests to the appropriate faculty members for review. Be prepared to submit the syllabus from your former school; if you don’t have a syllabus, you may provide a course description. However, since most course descriptions are general, they may not give enough information to make a decision about that course.

I have an Associate's Degree from a community college. Can I take additional credits at my community college to apply to my program at Montclair State?

Once you have matriculated at Montclair, you may not return to your community college for additional credits. A maximum of 60 credits may be transferred to Montclair State. Remaining credits must be completed at Montclair or at another four-year school, with appropriate prior approvals.

I took a 200-level course at my community college that seems like one of the 300-level courses I am required to take as part of my business program at Montclair. Can it be substituted for the Montclair course?

Community college courses may not be substituted for upper, or 300-400-, level courses at Montclair State. They may qualify as Business Administration major electives. (See course evaluation procedure in Question 8.)