THE CORPORATE EDGE PROGRAM
A Professional Development Program for Students from Diverse Populations
In fall 2017, Montclair State University’s Feliciano School of Business partnered with the Educational Opportunity Fund program (EOF) to provide students with an ‘edge’ in professional development with the requisite skills, tools and support to succeed. The scholars in the program have the opportunity to learn from diverse corporate partners and understand the importance of building relationship capital. The EOF Program at Montclair State University provides a core group of students with the quality academic support, leadership development, career enrichment and need-based financial assistance to support their intellectual and social growth.
Students who completed the Corporate Edge Program left with a greater sense of confidence in themselves and their abilities. They increased their self-sufficiency in navigating the corporate community, which led to valuable relationships with employers and gaining remarkable opportunities. To date, this group of students secured internships or part-time employment with companies such as:
- SAX LLP
- Peapack-Gladstone Bank
- JP Morgan Chase
- PSEG IIS
- TD Bank
- Valley Bank
- Georgetown University Summer Discovery Pre-College Enrichment Program
- Urban League of Essex County
- Friendship House
- and VRR Media Productions.
The Corporate Edge Program will assist students of a diverse background in their professional development. With the partnership of the Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) program, we will prepare students with the skills needed to confidently pursue opportunities in the corporate world and build valuable relationships with employers.
Beginning with instruction in basic skills such as resume writing, job search and interviewing; the student’s professional development extends into networking and business etiquette. Students participate in a Dining Etiquette Luncheon, mock interviews and informal meetings with recruiters through “Lunch and Learns.”
Employer engagement is a critical step in this program. It provides an opportunity for our students to take the skills that are being developed and put them into practice. For our corporate partners, it provides an opportunity to make an impact on the lives of underrepresented populations.
We offer a variety of ways to connect with our students including:
- Lunch & Learns: Offered on-campus, it is an informal way to meet our students over lunch. No formal presentation is necessary – simply a conversation answering questions that the group may have about interviewing, the job search, or the corporate life in general. We provide the lunch!
- Road Trips: Held on Friday mornings, we bring the group to you. It’s a wonderful way to share your headquarters and provide an overview of the different roles that make up your corporation.
- Job Shadowing: Connect with one student for a day providing an opportunity for the individual to experience a day in your corporate life.